We want our pupils and students to develop to be the best historian they can. We want our pupils and students to be able to participate fully in the world when they leave us, to understand how fragile the rights and freedoms some enjoy today are so that they can play a part in shaping our society in the coming years for the better. We want them to have developed skills of research, analysis and communication that will set them up for life.
The purpose of our discipline is threefold: to investigate the past, understand the present and use this to shape the future. This is done through historical enquiry, where historians: identify an issue to investigate, research using materials from the time being studied in light of the views of other historians, analyse their findings and then construct an argument which they then communicate to a variety of audiences. Inducting our pupils over time to the historical method forms part of the purpose of the History Curriculum here at UoB School. Yet History as a school subject has additional purposes placed upon it and here, we also aim that:
- Our pupils develop a knowledge of the past that forms a coherent and chronological narrative, one which will help them if they study History further but also function fully in society as adults.
- Our pupils understand that Britain has always been diverse and that our curriculum balances the events that are seen as necessary in understanding the story of Britain with teaching our pupils a History that recognises the diverse heritages they have and helps them to understand this.
- Our pupils construct understanding of terms which are specific to history but also necessary in adult life.
- Our pupils see that life does not always “get better” and that what we have now is not guaranteed.
- Our pupils understand the actions of people in the past, both positive and negative, to help support their choices in the future.
- Our pupils are not deceived as adults with “fake news” and conspiracy theories.
Mr J Ward
Admissions enquiriese: email@example.com