We welcome colleagues from a wide range of schools to join our staff learning and development programme.
The School is frequently a venue for the sharing of practice between professionals from different educational settings and between teachers and University academics, both from the School of Education at the University of Birmingham, and across the University campus.
We aim to make a significant contribution to high quality teacher development in the region, in partnership with a range of primary and secondary schools, teaching school alliances and multi-academy trusts. Our unique links allow us to work across the school and HEI sectors, linking professionals from different phases in the interests of energising and exciting teachers and inspiring learners.
We are committed to working with both primary and secondary newly qualified teachers (NQTs) across the West Midlands and beyond, connecting them to research and scholarship and building extensive subject and phase networks which support early career teachers and sustain them in their careers in the long term.
Rush Hour Research Series
You’re invited to join the Rush Hour Research series, intended to engage teachers and educators with current research from the University of Birmingham. We extend a warm welcome to education colleagues from across the West Midlands and look forward to sharing some inspiring intellectual input at these after school events, along with tea, cake and networking.
All events take place from 16:30 – 18:00 at the University of Birmingham School, 12 Weoley Park Road, Birmingham B29 6QU. Find out how to get here.
Upcoming Rush Hour Research Events
- 12th March 2019 – A window on research at the School of Education (workshop choices – coming soon)
- 21st May 2019 – Subject specialist sessions with UoB researchers – topics from A level specifications in a range of subjects (workshop choices – coming soon)
- 25th June 2019 – #Engagedinresearch eventAn annual sharing of research projects involving University of Birmingham School – micro presentations from UoB School researchers and their collaborative partners
2018/19 Rush Hour Research Events:
- Dr Claire Crawford – The Trouble with Data
2017/18 Rush Hour Research Events:
- Dr Andrea Krott-Does Language learning make you smarter?
- Tuesday 10th July 2018 – Professor Jane Martin – Carry on Comprehensive: politics, policy and practice at Holland Park School.
2016/17 Rush Hour Research Events:
- Professor David Gillborn – Race and Education. Tuesday 6th February 2018.
- Professor Angela Creese and Professor Adrian Blackledge – Multilingualism in everyday practice. Tuesday 10th October 2017.
- Professor Kalwant Bhopal – BME Experiences in Higher Education: Social justice, inclusion and white privilege. Tuesday 4th July 2017.
- Dr Jack Rogers – The Brain and Learning – ‘Emotions, Aggression and Antisocial Behaviour’. Tuesday 21st March 2017.
- Professor Michael Hand – Teaching Controversial Issues. Tuesday 31st January 2017.
- Deborah Youdell – The biology of learning. 2016.
2016/17 Education Keynotes:
- David Didau – What if everything you knew about education was wrong? Tuesday 4th April 2017.
Stay up to date
If you would like to hear first about professional development events for teachers and educators, sign up to our CPD mailing list and we’ll let you know what’s coming up.
We value your privacy, will always keep your data safe and will never spam you.