Year 7 and 11-16 Admissions
Joining us in Year 7
We admit 150 pupils into Year 7 each year, with a comprehensive and academically non-selective intake.
Rather than having a catchment area, we take pupils from four ‘nodes’ across Birmingham, and we are proud of the diverse intake we attract.
Year 7 Virtual Transition – 06 July 2020
Our families will receive information packs inviting them to the virtual event.
How to Apply
You can apply for our School using the Birmingham City Council application process.
You will be asked to select up to 6 schools on your application form. Our advice is that you include at least one school for which you know you qualify and then put the schools in your order of preference.
Please contact Birmingham City Council School Admissions if you need any help or advice filling in your form.
The deadline for Year 7 applications for entry to the University of Birmingham School in 2019 is 31 October 2019.
Apply Here (Birmingham City Council): https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/secondary-school
Birmingham City Council School Admissions: 0121 303 1888
How do we offer places?
We have agreed a Published Admissions Number (PAN) of 150 children for admission into Year 7. If we receive more applications than this, Birmingham City Council will offer places according to the following over-subscription criteria:
· Pupils with an Education, Health and Care Plan, naming the University of Birmingham School, whose needs we are able to meet;
· Looked-after children and children who were previously looked-after;
· Siblings of students currently attending the University of Birmingham School and who will continue to do so on the date of admission. This does not include siblings who were external entrants to the Sixth Form;
· Our Nodal System: the distance between an applicant’s home address and their closest nodal point, as set out below. Our four nodes are the main reception entrance to the School, and the entrance to the railway stations in Hall Green, the Jewellery Quarter and Small Heath.
You can access more information through the Birmingham City Council.
Our Nodal System: The University of Birmingham School, we aim to create a diverse learning community that helps to address the needs of a rapidly growing city by admitting people from across Birmingham. We don’t have a specific ‘catchment area’ as we operate a nodal system, taking pupils from four different locations across Birmingham.
A node is a central point, determined by co-ordinates on a map, and not a postcode area, from which measurements will begin. Our nodes are the main reception entrance to the School, and the entrance to the railway stations in Hall Green, the Jewellery Quarter and Small Heath.
The expected number of students admitted from each node, per year, is:
· The University of Birmingham School main entrance – up to 75 pupils (50%)
· Hall Green Rail Station – up to 25 pupils (16.7%)
· Jewellery Quarter Station – up to 25 pupils (16.7%)
· Small Heath Station – up to 25 pupils (16.7%) Distance will be calculated by Birmingham City Council as a straight line measurement between the applicant’s home and the main entrance of the nearest node (as the crow flies). In the event that a tie break situation occurs for the distance criteria, a random allocation tie break will be used.
If you want to find out the distance between the coordinates of your home address and a specific nodal point, please contact Birmingham City Council School Admissions.
Using a nodal admissions approach means we cannot guarantee how close to your node you will need to be in order to be successful in your application to the School.
Each year, the furthest admission distance from each node will vary depending on the number of applicants.
For reference and information, details for previous years’ applications and admissions are as follows:
· In 2018, of six choices for secondary school places, we featured on over 1859 applications and had successful applications from over 55 primary schools.
· In 2017, of six choices for secondary school places, we featured on over 1832 applications and had successful applications from over 66 primary schools.
Timeline for Year 7 Admissions
19 September 2019 – Open Evening
20 & 23 September 2019 – Open Mornings
31 October 2019 – Birmingham City Council Application Deadline
02 March 2020 – National Offer Day
Events for Year 7 September 2020 Intake
06 July 2020 – Year 7 Virtual Transition. Our families will receive information packs inviting them to the virtual event.
We will be in touch with you over the summer break to communicate any changes and further information.
The University of Birmingham School is committed to ensuring that parents and relevant children will have the right of appeal to an Independent Appeal Panel if they are dissatisfied with an admission decision. The arrangements for appeals comply with the School Admission Appeals Code. The determination of the appeal panel is binding on all parties.
Appeals are managed by Birmingham City Council School Admissions.
To make an appeal, please contact them on 0121 303 1888.
The School currently has no vacant places. Please visit our waiting list pages to find out about in-year admissions.