Mike Roden Scholarships
Our Mike Roden Scholarships provide support for students progressing to degree studies at the University of Birmingham
These Scholarships offer a transformational opportunity, only available to Sixth Form students at the University of Birmingham School.
Ten scholarships will be awarded annually to students in Year 13 who go on to study for a degree at the University of Birmingham. The scholarships are worth £5,000 per year to students who chose to follow a STEMM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine) programme of study and £1,500 per year to students who choose any other course. There will be four STEMM scholarships available and six non-STEMM scholarships.
The Scholarships are named in honour of the School’s founding Principal Michael Roden.
Mr Roden retired in 2018, but the Scholarships ensure that his legacy will continue, as the awards which bear his name carry the same sentiment as the work he did in founding the School. The Scholarships will ensure that students do not have to worry about the financial constraints of day-to-day life at University, and will free the recipients from these worries, allowing them to concentrate on their studies, and making the most of their time at University. The School and the University hope that the Scholarships will encourage more students to aim high, apply to University, and achieve their true potential as they begin their life after School.
I was the first in our family to go University and, inspired by my own dedicated teachers, I have enjoyed a long career in some of the country’s best schools. I want students of University of Birmingham School to have access to the same opportunities I was fortunate enough to enjoy.
How to Apply
To be considered applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be eligible for, and in receipt of, the 16-19 bursary during Year 13 at the University of Birmingham School OR
- Have faced extenuating circumstances during their period of study at University of Birmingham School
- Have applied for an undergraduate degree at the University of Birmingham for entry in the same year as leaving year 13 at the University of Birmingham School
Applications for the Scholarships will open during the Autumn term of Year 13.
The application has two parts; the first part is to be completed by the student and the second by the School
In order to apply for a scholarship, you must provide a written answer to two questions:
- How would being a Roden Scholar help you be successful at the University of Birmingham?
- Have you experienced any extenuating circumstances which is having, or has had, a significant impact on your academic attainment?
The School will provide the following information:
- Confirmation that the applicant is eligible for, and in receipt of, the 16-19 bursary during year 13, if applicable
- Confirmation that the applicant has applied for an undergraduate degree at the University of Birmingham for entry in the same year as leaving year 13 at the University of Birmingham School.
- The name of the course(s) applied for at the University of Birmingham
- The name of the secondary school the applicant attended for their GCSEs
- The UCAS reference for the applicant
- A brief recommendation from a member of the Sixth Form Team
If you have any further questions, please get in touch with Mr Dwyer, Sixth Form Manager or Mrs Kershaw, Sixth Form Administrator.