Horizons Lecture Series
Broaden your Horizons
The Horizons Lecture Series is your opportunity to hear from academics from the University of Birmingham who are making a real difference in their fields of expertise. You’ll get to hear from a different person each week, and broaden your ideas of how the world – or even the universe – works and what could be possible.
World changing impact
Research that takes place at Birmingham impacts on the lives of people regionally, nationally and globally. You’ll benefit from an insight into specialisms across all five colleges at the University of Birmingham, meaning that whatever A Levels you are studying, you’ll still benefit from the rich and broad academic endeavor of this world-class university.
Here’s an example of the Horizons Lectures that will be on offer to you this year:
- Black Holes and Gravitational Waves – Professor Ilya Mandel
- Recycling drugs for new medicines – Dr Farhat Khanim
- Global Britain and UK Aid – Dr Danielle Beswick
- Sex, Lies and Nanotechnology – Professor Jon Preece
- Education in the context of civil conflict – focusing on the Syrian refugee crisis? – Dr Dina Kiwan
- Thinking critically about social media: A linguistic study of Wikipedia and SnapChat – Dr Ruth Page
In addition to the Horizons Series, you’ll also have chance to attend public lectures at the University of Birmingham, and will have additional assemblies and enrichment options on specific topics.
Wonder is the beginning